Friday, February 12, 2010

Random happenings in Bangkok during the new year

I just wanted to share some happenings during the start of 2010. First there was a big concert to help Haiti here. I caught the start of it while I was waiting for my bus to go home. This guy on screen was performing and had a simple yet highly unoriginal song to convince people to donate....the song went something like this...well actually, it went exactly like this.....Help Haiti...help Haiti....heeeeeeelp Haiti....heeeeeeelp haaaaaiiiitiiii.....help haiti help haiti.....well I guess he got the point across, but no points for your lyric writing ability buddy....but 10 points for giving your time to help out:)




Also visited a place I have been trying to go for a while....the souffle house at Saphan Taksin....
I was realyl glad I went for 2 reasons...first, the couple who own this place are really really kind, and it's obviously a family run business and they work hard and are so nice to people. AND, they spoke to me in Thai, which I have been finding is incredibly rare in Thailand....yes, I am serious Thai people dont seem to want to speak anything but English to foriegners and it is annoying me no end because HOOOOW am I meant to practice Thai when NO ONE will speak to me in Thai??? Even if I speak to them in Thai first so that they know I can speak some Thai....I still get English.....hmmmmph, it is really frsutrating and I am sick of it:( But some nice people like this man and his wife do speak Thai to me and I love them for it:D

The second reason I am glad I came is the cake is amazing as are the drinks....the owner backs them all himself and so they taste like they are meant to and not just like sweet....this is the tiramisu cake and it was really nice. I also had an apple smoothie which had real apple in it...I am coming back and willing to take anyone who wants to try it out!!!



And then....Karl came to Bangkok and I haven't seen him since I left Japan in 2007! So it was great to catch up, be it very quickly. We went to Greyhound which si this very cool cafe chain in BKK.



I ordered the complicated noodle....




And it was indeed complicated as neither Karl nor I could figure out how to eat it....luckily the Thai friend of Karl's knew how....maybe he eats here often and favours the complicated noodle as the dish of choice??? Lucky he was there otherwise it would have been a right mess and two farang would have ended up wearing a lot of meat, gravy and lettuce....





The other big happening was Yu's birthday and we ordered home-delivered pizza AND home-delivered KFC!!! WOW, in BKK you can get KFC and Maccas home-delivered!! Could you imagine that in Australia....KFC and Maccas regulars who dont even get the benefit from walking from the car to the restaurant....or even the walk from their front door to the car to go to drive-through......hmmmmm we probably would have overtaken USA years ago as fattest nation on earth I think!! Anyway, home-delivered KFC is just the same, and Thai KFC is just the same....fatty and bad for you....this is what home-delivered KFC looks like!





Oh and the funniest thing today....we got Thai writing books to practice our Thai writing skills in class...and look...one of the exercises was practicing how to write the number 1-10!! Hahaha, yup it was good to get back to kindergarten....


Im concentrating very hard on getting this 1-10 writing business correct hahaha! Sucess!!!



Chinese New Year this Sunday coming up, so full report coming soon!!! Expect dim sum and other Chinese delicious things from Yaowarat!!!! Am I ever excited about this!!!





1 comment:

  1. James!!

    Love reading about your adventures - making me very jealous!

    Hope your well!

    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete