Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mid-semesters require more bakery treats to get through the day

We have hit midsemesters.....not that anyone really noticed...the 3 hour exams lasted 1/2 hour.....if you really worked slowly! But the process of trying to remember all these Thai names did take a lot of time...and many Yamazaki bakery treats on the way home from uni....I tried...tried....to limit myself to three a day. So other than exams what's been happening.....ummmmm not a whole lot I don't think. Saturday Maei and I went to the optomotrist in Siam, followed by dinner at the food court in Paragon, AND more importantly, cake at Le Notre.....absolutely amazing again!! This time was the chocolate and bannana pie....came with baked bannanas and rumand raisin icecream and this coconut biscuit....arooooooy:D

Monday involved a hunt for a pizza buffet...in Sukhumvit- not my favourite part of town, but if a pizza buffet is calling me, I can't ignore it....except when we got there no one was there, so we left and ended up eating at this Italian restaurant in Siam...was really nice, incredibly small portions....more like bite-size than main, but the pasta was great! Tuesday no real eating adventures to be had....except for the whole fish and what I think was congealed pig's blood on my plate at Lung Jars....with Lung Jar sitting opposite me asking me if it was delicious and me being left with no choice but to eat it all....mmmmmm even I don't do pigs blood....at least it is a weaker flavour than chicken's blood.......

Wednesday was protest day...again...this time, yellow shirts. Now, there is a big difference between yellow and red shirt protests here.....first, it rained, prompting all yellow shirts to take cover in Thammasat cafeterias....I don't like this as it mean not free seats leaving exchange students unable to access the khaow man kai shop for lunch which they had been looking forward to since the night before.....:( Second point to note is red shirts stick to Sanam Luang and are general content to stand about in the dirty mass which is this "park". Yellow shirts like to stick to the pavement infront of Thammasat and set up food stalls and drink stands and spend the majority of the day snacking.....and exchange students who feel the need to eat watermelon due to being unable to access khaow man kai are more than welcome to partake in these pavement eatery festivities.....I helped myself to a serve of watermelon then proceeded to drop at least half of the bag of it in front of the riot police who had assembled to make sure there was no fighting or pushing in line to get to the fried chicken. I think I did a good deed though, because those police had to stand there all day long with no entertainment, so watching a farang trying to stab pieces of watermelon with a skewer only to end up dropping every 2nd piece on the ground was probably amusing for them judging by their smirks and laughs.....not funny, that watermelon was delicious and was not going into my mouth:(

Thanks to this protest (which incidently, never seemed to escalate beyond the sidework eating gathering) buses weren't really running from uni, so I had to take the ferry and go from the otherside of the river. Whilst no cyclone or floods here, we did have a lot of rain causing all these plants to get stuck in the river, meaning that the ferry had to strategically move around each mass of green plant to get to the other side of the river. Wednesday night and had the nicest fried rice at Lung Jars. Was so hungry this morning I even woke up early to go eat breakfast at Lung Jars...vegetables and some kind of meat......fish maybe?? Exams all day, punctuated by a bowl of kuay thiaw. Just got roped into going to the international education expo to dell Thammasat....hmmmm maybe I'm not the right person....can't say I have glowing reports to give.....oh well, they asked, so it's their fault if no one comes here and go to Chula instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment