Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Posting for Emma to keep her and the random sitting next to her entertained on the tram

Hello peoples, sorry it is getting longer and longer between posts I know....khoor thoort mak maaaak:( So let me think of everything interesting and try and update you on what's going on. First, let me say there are no killer floods here, so I am definately ok.....I am more worried about the killer dogs hanging around my soi than killer flash floods.....stray animals, they are my pet hate in this country....that and Thai time......anyways.....

So last week, Buddhism class cancelled...hooray! Spent the day doing not much as a result...did go and eat kway tiaow rua at Victory Monument though which was tres tasty! Tuesday ethnic groups. Painful. Did do some random late night eating though......

And here's a random picture of Sanam Lung, where Red shirt protests frequently occur....today was an off-day obviously....it's such a grotty park, yet right behind it is the Grand Palace which is so nice....


Wednesday had Thai class then went to check out some private language schools in Chitlom to try and push the langauge skills along. Went to AAA which looked really good, so might join it. Oh, and at Chitlom I saw the four faced Buddha we learnt about in Art and Architecture.
Chitlom is really nice by the way....much cleaner than other parts of Bangkok. Manny expats...including this one lady who was out with her toddler...except she had a nanny pushing the child in a stroller...she wasn't even pushing her own child! Wow, and saw this group of expat women out for a walk with children....and nannies.....talk about a coffee mum to the max...and really, judging by her posterior size, a push of the stroller around the block or 2 would not go astray.....and how must her poor child feel....anyways, I'm not going to get started about this!

After that met James and we went to this awesome Starbucks which had this cool garden (greenery I know what a novelty!!) but the cool garden also had many mosquitoes forcing us inside. Had langauge exchange.....by exchange I mean, he teaches me Thai, coz his English is perfect despite what he thinks. After, met Franziska and had dinner at Loft Chtilom. I had mapo tofu, but it didn't taste much like mapo tofu, rather like Tokfu with Thai spices...anyway, was nice nonetheless. And Loft Chtilom is really nice....nice view through the CBD, and foundtains and ponds and cool lights inside...very cool atmosphere....put it on the "to go back to again to eat" list. Oh, check out the traffic jam tonight!

Thursday involved class all day then caught up with Takeo for dinner at MBK. He's just got back to BKK from Tokyo and has a job, so will be staying here now for a while. Nice to speak some Japanese again, or at least try! My eyes start playing up today too.....I thought I saw a man wheeling a box of merchandise out of his store to sell, actually he was wheeling an old lady out of the shop in a wheelchair.....well, old ladies in wheelchairs and shoes do look similar do they not??

Friday, class, and my contacts play up all day...go to Isetan to try get a solution, none, go home lie on bed all day with headache...Saturday much the same until they feel better. Just in time too, coz Elaine rings wanting to know if I will go to the BKK International Film Festival, which of course I do! We went to see this awesome Indonesian film about a boy who goes to live with his Dad on an illegal fishing barge. Well, not only was the film great, BUT I got an IMAX sized popcorn!! Wow wow wow, this was the BIGGEST bucket of popcorn I have ever eaten. They had to shovel the popcorn into it....and it holds so much popcorn they even emptied one popcorn machine filling it!! And here you can have sweet, or cheese flavoured popcorn not just original! I got sweet coz I never tried it before, and a whole bucket of cheese seemed like overkill...but looking back, anything in a bucket that big would have been overkill....anyways.....I am guessing they don't sell a lot of IMAX sized buckets, coz they had stored all sorts of bags and utensils (yes these buckets are big enough to store things in) in them!! The candybar staff tried to give me giant, but I persisted and they evdentually got me the IMAX sized.....of which Elaine and I managed to eat only about 1/10.....how embarrassing:( Well, this bucket was so heavy it weighed enough to hold down the seat next to me while we stood for the national anthem before the film....yes in Thailand they play the national anthem before each movie!



Sunday I did not much, went to Lotus Tesco for some grocery shopping and nothing much else. Here is a random picture of Kaldi bannana soy smoothie...one of their specialty drinks, so I decided to try it! It's good.



Monday, and I had no Buddhism class coz I dropped it to concentrate on Thai.....hooray!!! Here are some random pictures from the bus I took with my new camera, and also here is a picture of this yoghurt thing I bought from 7/11....note the plastic wrapped spoon.....packaging in this country rivals Japan!

Had the nicest broccoli and prawn stirfry with rice today for lunch...and mangostein juice! Wow, never seen that before....very very good!


Tuesday, NO ETHNIC MINORITY CLASS!!!! Went in search of the haagen daz mooncake icecream which was apperently sold at one oulet in the whole of BKK and only from September until mid-October for the moon festival. BUT, after finally finding this damn outlet, they said they didn't have them and nor had they even heard of them! Wow, dissapointment of my LIFE! This was on the 100 food secrets of Bangkok...so now how will I complete this list.....??????? Well, picking myself up from the ashes I stumbled across Amaltery Icecream...which IS ALSO ON THE 100 SECRETS LIST!!! It is a shop that sells alcoholic icecream....like sangria in icecream form! Some of them are super strong, others not so much....but it is really nice!! Also tried the malt drink which is meant to be their specialty drink. Oh wait wait, before that went and ate at this random food area near Chitlom....had the best Som Tam, and also tried duck mouth....so so good with sticky rice!
Dinner was fantastic...also had like a hot pot, a pork soup, and chicken larb....arrrrooooooooooyyyyyy:D

Here is the icecream
Oh, and here is a random picture of the sunseting coz I was trying to figure out how to use all the settings on my camera....still can't use them.


Wednesday Thai class then Yu, Brooke and I went to the final day of the film festival....what a let down...the film was the most boring film ever.....no one said anything litterally....there was a Q&A with the director at the end but we snuck out before they came to avoid putting ourselves through that horrible experience...so so sooooo boring. So, went to food loft and had spicy noodle salad for dinner, then showed Brooke the alcoholic icecream shop and she was quite impressed by it! And check out this quote I saw whilst showing Brooke this place!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a dismal, yet true quote at the end there James - on that note, I'm going to go & do something I'd rather not...

    ReplyDelete