Saturday, September 19, 2009

1 1/2 weeks of happenings

Wow, I realise I have posted nothing for over a week, so I better update, coz a few things of interest have happened! Let's see....last Thursday was so incredibly hot, the heat was coming through my window and woke me up at about 6am it was that hot:( Great, coz we had a scheduled tour of the Grand Palace. Perfect weather to walk around for about 3 hours looking at the palace. Well, it was worth it for two reasons...i) we got in for free coz we were with Thammasat...foreigners usually pay 350 baht! And ii) we got a tour by some important professor who works at the palace, and that was fantastic coz he was full of information about things I would never have known if I just did the tour myself! But it was so so so hot, especially in the Thammasat uniform...repeat point made earlier about long black pants......clever person indeed who designed that uniform! Oh and iii) we all went to Sizzler for lunch! Wow, they still have sizzler here....and you still get the cheese bread, but the bread is sweet and the cheese isn't really cheese, nor does it really taste like cheese.....but 10 points for the appearance because it does look like with will taste like cheesebread....anyways, sizzler here is super trendy and all the cool kids go to eat there....but the food is just as bad if not worse as in Australia.....but good to relive the memories of childhood eating at sizzler!

Friday was Thai class, but apart from that I don't remember anything too amazing happening...it was really hot again...oh no wait, I tried the khaow man kai at the small cafeteria and it was so so so good! By far superior to the khaow man kai at the large cafeteria! So that was Friday's highlight! The lowlight was trying to borrow a book at the library.....wait wait, and not getting a straw with my milo at the 7/11.....so enough about Friday.....

The weekend involved the Thammasat singing contest final because JoeJoe was in it, so Elaine, JC, Nui, Tanya and I went to watch. I was expecting something kinda tacky to tell the truth, but it was this massively huge thing! They had sponsors and everything! And the sponsors provided free food, drinks, and tissues! Wow, I'll take 5 of everything please, because the free chocolate bread was amazing! And the presenter were these 2 TV personalities...not that I knew them, and the judges also included some famous musicians...again no idea who they were, but apparently I was meant to be impressed by their presence. So the singing was amazing...some of the students are really really talented. There was a Thai love song section which I have to say went on far too long, prompting me and JC to go to Tha Prachan to try find something to take up on the stage to JoeJoe, coz it seemed everyone was doing that. Found nothing....went back to the painful Thai love songs.....still going,.....

Finally the English section...english love songs.....and then JoeJoes...he did sex bomb! Haha, it was classic....he actually did it really well but lost out to someone singing I will survive...except she couldn't sing any of the words, so it was more like humming to the tune of I will survive...

After rushed home, changed then went to Sode Samo in Ekkamai with Sine and some of her friends. It was a really Thai bar with some cool thai music. I was officially the only farang there which made things good fun. Was a good night....the bathrooms had attendants...how weird....someone to turn the tap on for you when you wash your hands, wait patiently to turn it off for you when your done.....pass you a cloth to dry your hands, then pass you a warm towel when you dried your hands, then give you a mint to chew on for the walk back to the table!! Hahaha how cool!

Sunday went to Paragon and caught up with James for language exchange. And now this week.....Monday, nothing interesting to report, Tuesday had ethnic groups....at least I could get through it with the help of a chocolate frappe from the cafe downstairs....introduced some people to the brilliance of this drink....comments to report include...."chocolate frappe where have you been all my life"....."mmmmmmm.... eeeeee....mmmmmm おいしいいいいいいい" (Japanese girls tried it too), "ooooooh, wooooow...this is so good....what is this...chocolate??....oh I have an allergy to chocolate...." (Michinori)

Wednesday.....make up ethnic groups...painful....but then we all went for dinner at this theatre restaurant over at WangLang Pier. It was so nice...we sat at the table which was right next to the river, so had a really nice view looking out over the river.
The restaurant uses the money from the restaurant to give scholarships to disadvantaged kids in Thailand to come study performing arts at their theatre school....so everyone should eat there! They do live shows on Friday and Saturday nights so I will be going back! And apparently the lady who runs it is a famous actress or something.
And the food is amazing....we ordered all the specialties....melt in your mouth everything! Included the mum's secret chicken recipe, and a pork ribs recipe which was just amazing!
Thursday and we had art and architecture followed by Thai society...learnt about the Thammasat massacre...its kind freaky feeling to look out over the oval where it all happened and it looks exactly the same....as it did back then. Strange to think that where we walk around the campus today, people were being shot and beaten not that long ago.....:(

Friday Thai exam, was ok, and then in the afternoon went to the Tha Prachan Games....which was meant to be like sports contest amongst the first years, so Maei and I went along to support the BAS students. It turned out to be more like a cheerleading contest, which was just funny more than quality! We participated in the tug-of-war, and we lost:(

And then today....no political turmoil to any great extent as was expected, so that was nice as it meant no real traffic jams.....BUT, after having made it to JJ market, I found that my wallet is stolen....hmmmm not happy Jan...in fact....very very angry Jan! Luckily I didnt have much money in it, and managed to cancel all cards, so it's more of an inconvenience than a huge loss...hopefully travel insurance will pay for my new wallet!! But still.....what a bad day....and then it rained, and the chicken rice which we had to get take away after realising my wallet was gone just as we sat down to eat wasnt even that nice....but the lady was so nice to put it in takeaway containers for us when we had to up and leave in a hurry. And, Lung Jar even offered to feed me for free if I run out of money until my new cards come....And Tar came all the way in the rain to help me cancel my BKK Bank card...wow, some people really are so so nice.....I heart nice people like Lung Jar and the lady at the chicken rice shop at JJ market....but I definately dont heart people who steal my wallet.....but if they steal it to feed a hungry family, well....at least they have good intentions I suppose and it is an act of desperation....so I will tell myself I have put food on the table for a family for a couple of days....and that will make me feel slightly better about the whole ordeal. Anyways, tomorrow is a new day....let's hope it gets better:D

1 comment:

  1. I'm just so sad that one of your friends has an allergy to chocolate.
    However, to cheer myself up, I'm making roti bread & peanut sauce on my one hotplate. It's helping.

    ReplyDelete