Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Will I ever see the MK dance???

Wow, has been busy of late! So, to update over the last almost week or so! Thursday involved class all day, and afterwards ran into Jojo, Nui and JC so joined them at Au Bon Pain for a cocoa ice blast which was very tasty. The place was very European but this meant huge comfy chairs perfect for an afternoon nap! Not that I napped, because I was talking and making note of the numerous delicious club sandwhiches which everyone ordered at the other tables which I somehow did not:( Next time I am ordering cocoa ice blast AND club sandwhich! Anyways, before we knew it, it was 6 and I had to get back. Snapped a picture of us all jsut after leaving, don't we all look so happy!! Im happy because cocoa ice blasts taste so good....and of course coz I could enjoy with good friends too:D Of course of course!!
It started raining so heavily and the traffic was so so bad, so foreseeing not making it home in time to eat at Lung Jars, I got off at Central and went to get food there. On the bus I ran into Toy so he joined me for dinner. I had khaow ka muu again, which was nice. According to Toy, the quality of the eggs on my plate were quite high, so here they are for everyone to marvel at with amazement and wonder!
Bought some bakery treats to take home with me, designed for tonights after dinner snacks and tomorrows breakfast....the only made it to afterdinner snacks though...why am I surprised though??!!
Friday was Thai class again...next week we start...."ordering food"!!! Whoop whoop whoop whoop!!! First lesson involves eating lunch together...wow, Im already planning!! After class went for lunch at the cafeteria before venturing out to get my haircut. Found an english speaking place so we ended with something ok! By the way, this was my lunch for friday!


Getting home was fun, the conductor lady had NO IDEA where I wanted to go, so in the end I just told her the ticket cost 17 baht and please let me just get off where I need to! She agreed and we could settle down to enjoy the ride home! At home I did some readings anticipating not much being done on the weekend. Ate a Lung Jars, and caused everyone great laughter over the fact that I paid 300 baht for a haircut...well now I know haircuts come as cheap as 60 baht down the road.....but when I compared it to how much even a cheap haircut cost back home, 300 baht seemed like a bargain! Anyways, at least 300 baht gets you an english speaking hairdresser and leaves you with a haircut which doesn't require a hat to be worn 24/7 for the next couple of months! And 300 baht haircuts also provide Lung Jar's mother and wife with a night's entertainment and laughter as well! So I feel like a did a good deed today...kind of!
Saturday I went to the Royal Thai Navy Orchestra concert with JC and some of his friends who work out here. It was a fantastic concert and we had 2nd row seats! After that, headed to the Rattanakhosin Apartments for Brooke's (from USA) birthday. Was held at the Danish guy's penthouse on the 38th floor so views were nice!!! Plans were to go to Bed Supperclub, but turned into RCA...where I have never been, but it was so so soooo long away....especially with 5 in a taxi! Was a pretty good night with everyone....some friends even managing to attract the attention of a colgate toothpaste model! Getting home was fun...7 in a taxi! 5 in the back and 2 in front! Stopped at Pinklaow for early morning sustenance of khaow ka muu...again, I know! Here the early morning version is....note eggs not quite as good, but meat definately superior to the 7pm version served at Central.



Sunday involved no zoo trip....not that one was ever planned anyway, but red shirts demonstrating there....hahahaha, it amuses me that they demonstrate at the zoo! Today had lunch at Tha Siam again....and that song is still bad! Then took my first public boat down the canals. Mmmm canal water is so appealing with it's green/brown colour and scent of toilet. Luckily, they have tarps which you can pull up to shield your from splashage, but alas....these sheets dont go up high enough and I spent the entire time with detol at the ready. These guys walk around the edge of the boat to collect the money....how they don't fall in I have no idea! This picture gives you an idea of the tarps and the guys with a job I would never want to do but admire them for doing it all day long!

Dinner at MK at 5:30 in order to see the MK dance at 6....and then they sat us in the very back corner where no dance could at all be seen......:( Dissapointment of the century.......:( :( :(
So, moving on to Monday, ate lunch with Kenny and James at Tha Prachan, thinking we had enough time before our presentation to get lunch off campus....we made it to class with 1 minute to spare in the end! Presentation went ok, then went to the meeting for this weekend's camp to some beach. Turns out the meeting was at Rangsit....urrgghhhh, so, we all get into vans, drive for like 1 1/2 hrs to absolute woop woop to Thammasat Rangsit campus. Wow, this campus is huge! Noteable characteristics are the 5 or so cafeterias, the large amount of mud, the vast amount of puddles serving to breed equally large amounts of mosquitoes, and the french crepe shop at the cafeteria behind the dorms. So, after pulling up at one side of campus, we then walked along the road (road meaning vans can presumably therefore drive along) for about 45 minutes to reach the otherside of campus. Exchange students= not happy Jan! Then, sit, and sit, and sit, then go to night time market to get dinner, then eat...exchange students= only slightly annoyed Jan. And then, the meeting at long long last. The meeting consists of find a secret buddy who you have to secretly look after and do nice things during the camp.....meeting time/place/itinery information nil. Then, walk back along the road for 45 minutes to the van which only plays the radio if you pay 30 baht, AND which only takes you as far as victory monument. Exchange students start to wonder if it's too late to ask for a refund, but realise we probably should have realised this would have happened given International Affairs Office's proven inability to anything whatsoever....Home at 10:30 and ethnic group readings await still.....and I didn't even have khanom to get me through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment