Tuesday, August 4, 2009

1st Day.....traffic jams, Thai time, and a whole lot of miscommunication....!!!

So, woke up ready to report to the university and move into the dorm. Was feeling a bit nervous about everything to tell the truth....not really sure where the uni was, where the dorm was, or how to get there....So, my friend had ordered a taxi and we were assured that it would be there in 20 minutes.....1 hour later it came. Despite going to the uni during the quiet time, there was still a trafffic jam, but apparently this was only a "light" traffic jam, which meant that the taxi driver could charge us a higher rate- lucky him. However, this "light" traffic jam did give me an opportune tourist moment, as we were stuck at a traffic light in the middle of a round about which circled some monument celebrating the constitution and democracy! So, after being amazed that traffic lights could even be placed in the middle of roundabouts, trying to figure out what logical purpose such an idea could serve, deciding that there was no logic to this except for creating traffic jams, I decided to make the most of the opportunity and pulled out my camera to snap a quick shot of this fine monument.





Finally arrived at Thammasat, which didn't look quite like I had imagined based off its website....but it was nice. So, I carted all my luggage to the international office to report to them that I was there. Because of our late arrival the guy who was meant to show me to the dorm had gone, so I had to drag my friend along...and thank god he came, as this dorm is kinda in woop woop and the taxi driver had no idea where to go! We made it though, and it is actually a lot nicer than I had expected. Turns out they have renovated, and not many people actually stay there. So, I have ended up with my own room, an air-con, and hot water, all at a mere $40 a week! The only issue is getting to and from uni....how to do that I have no idea! But there are two really nice Japanese girls also in the Thai Studies Program staying there, so together we will attempt to get ourselves to and from this dorm!
Anyways, after dumping my luggage, went back to Thammasat by Songtaew, and then boat over the river. Snapped a quick shot of the back edge of campus while we waited for the boat.




MBK in search of a mobile. I was a bit shocked to have to go through security screening just to get into the mall.....apparently a bomb went off sometime before, and now security at major malls is kinda tight. Except, most places dont bother to check your bag if the machine beeps at you...so gotta wonder why they bother with it! Anyways, MBK was hectic, and I really couldn't be bothered looking at a million phone stores....I only needed a basic phone for one year to text and call, so picked myself up a basic new nokia and got the hell out of the madness! Then we crossed over into Siam Discovery, a mall which is kinda high-tech looking, and then over into Siam Central, and finally Siam Paragon. At Siam Paragon, went into this cool supermakert which sells everything foreign, kind of like a kinokuniya equivalent, just without the 10000 yen melons. Anyways, the obvious highlight of this little experience (for me, and evidently most shoppers) was the salad bar. A bar filled with all kinds of salady delights waiting for you to put together your own master chef salad creation. Then, you take it to this lady who weighs it, charges you the appropriate amount, then has what I consider to be the coolest job in Bangkok, puts it in this machine and seals it over with this plastic top....I really wish I could have a job sealing salad with that machine, it was the coolest thing I have seen since the Japanese invented electronic bubble wrap toys.....:D However, the salad didn't taste quite as good as I was hoping.....shame, but now I know never to go there again for salad, even if it means I never get to see the cool plastic top wrapping machine again:( However, to save the day as far as culinary experiences go, we did enjoy a really nice bowl of noodles near the uni. I think it was called Kway Teow Tom Yum....I will have to remember that store and go there again!

Tasty noodles but untasty salad in a




Anyways, third day involved a trp to Pinklao Central Department Store....it smells funny, much like a hospital.....Anyways, today was dedicated to getting myself set-up for the year, so it entailed buying phone credit, getting my watch battery changed over as it conveniently died after arriving here, and buying a zillion cleaning products, utensils, and other bits and pieces. Two interesting things I learnt today....in order to buy products on special in the supermarket we shopped at today, you must be a member of the supermarket. If you're not a member, you have to pay the non-special price. However, calling your friend at the register to ask for their membership number to quote to the checkout chick is perfectly acceptable and will qualify you as a member for the purpose of receiving the special price....handy!

Second thing I learnt whilst buying a fan.....it takes four salespeople to sell you a fan....one to tell you how good the fan is, and how a red colour fan is by far superiour to other coloured fans and can cool a room MUCH better; a second to plug the fan in to prove to you the one you're buying actually works; a third to then carry the said fan to the register; and a fourth to put through the payment, and then return said fan to salesperson no 3 who hands it and our change to you, says thank you and good-bye!
Then went for dinner in the food court, which operates on a coupon system. You change your money for coupons and then hand them over in exchange for food and drinks at the shop. Unfortuantely I didn't have my camera with me, so couldn't snap a picture of my meal, but I went for khaow ka moo....pork leg with rice. The pork was simmering in this delicious soup for so long it litterally fell off the bone and was sooooo good. I also bought an egg to go with it, coming to a grand total of about $2 for the whole meal! Next time I eat there, I intend to try the dish labelled "kind of food/curry".....wish I had my camera, but I will endevour to snap a shot of this dish which is on my to do list for next time!

Back at the dorm, I met a really nice group of people staying here...they speak a little english, I speak even less Thai, and together we somehow managed a conversation for about 2 hours! Have also managed to set my room up today, so here is a picture of my home for the next year. It comes with a nice view of the highway and Bangkok CBD behind that.


Anyways, tomorrow is orientation, so will be good to meet everyone on the Thai Stuides program....and see if I can successfully take the bus or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment