Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sawatdii Khrub from Bangkok!



So, I am finally here in Bangkok, and finally have a chance to sit down and put my thought together about my first two days in Bangkok. So, Saturday 1st, flew from Albury to Sydney with Dad. Mum and Paul came to the airport, and Mum did sooooo well- no tears at all:D Here's a picture of me with Mum and Dad at Albury airport just before leaving. Had a good flight to Sydney then spent the night in Sydney before flying out on Sunday 2nd. To tell the truth I was really uninspired about flying British Airways coz I have not heard good things at all. But, I just kep telling myself that it was taking be to Bangkok and that was the only thing that mattered. Checked in super early and would you believe......I scored a seat in there Premium Economy cabin....whoop whoop! So, checked in, then got a bite to eat with Dad. Mum called, and then said goodbye to Dad and went through immigration. So, the flight.....




Well, I was sooooo amazing surprised....this cabin wasn't exactly business class but was so much nicer than normal economy. When they brought around drinks, you got two of whatever you ordered. Hot towels also good, but two major gripes....no menus....and the flight attendant was so incredibly difficult to unerstand, resulting in me having no idea what was eating.....which may have been for the better. I chose the chicken a la....didnt understand what he said, but on inspection I would say chicken a la yellow cream sauce (should cream be yellow???), served with a side of mash potato a la half a salt mine.....not the finest meal!


Cold bread, way way waaaaaay too much salt in the mashed potato, and
a yellow cream sauce which thankfully did not make me sick. The salad and real glass were a hit....with me at least


And, the bread...cold, why is it they can heat the towels in the microwave but not the bread....???? BUT, you did get a real glass if you ordered wine, so despite not actually wanting any wine, I ordered a glass for novelty sake. Oh wait, three gripes....NO dessert, but this was ok as I will explain!


After the meal they came around with brandy and again...real glasses! So, whilst I dont like brandy, I got a glass, and almost died trying to drink it:(




Anyways, so flight coninued nicely, amusing myself with the lumber support adjustment buttons and subsequently infuriating the man behind me. Out of the 100 movies on offer, I could only find 1 that I wanted to watch, so resorted to reading my newly acquired time out guide to Bangkok. Then, came the highlight of the trip....I buzzed the flight attendant for a glass water, as incomprehensible guy didnt seem to see the need to do any work other than speak on the PA system in a voice which no one could understand, and serve mashed potato which contained about half a salt mine, and wasnt bringing any drinks. Well, to my surprise, the lady who came informed me of the snack bar out the back where I could healp myself to drinks AND SNACKS! Well, words cannot explain my excitement! So, I spent almost the remainder of the trip in this snack bar, helping myself to chocolate bars, truffles, strawberries, cashew nuts, cherry chocolate cake (making up for lack of dessert), sandwhiches...wow wow wow, this was amazing! Anyways, feeling rather full, I battled my way through the "2nd meal" which was not so much a meal as it was a box with a roll and a chocolate bar....oh well, I made up for that thanks to this snack bar!


This is the dissapointing "2nd meal"


Arrived early in bangkok, and was given a "fast pass" so I could get through immigration. After walking about 40 minutes we finally got to Swine flu testing, which I passed with flying colours avoiding quarantine! Then, it turned out there was only 1 immigration stand open anyway, so the fast pass was not much use....oh well.


It was about 11pm when I finally met my friend, went to his house, at some khanom, which now represents my first meal in Bangkok! Was so tired, so after finishing the khanom, promptly went to bed


First meal in Thailand....khanom...my fifth stomach (dedicated entirely to khanom) was happy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment