Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of Uni

Uni started today which meant having to wear a uniform for the first time in ages......and that meant having to go and ask to use the iron.....AND THE LADY UNDERSTOOD ME!! So uniform ironed and on, I set off for the bus, and managed to succesfully arrive at Thammasat in time for my class. Got there early to have lunch at the cafeteria, and the dish I wanted the other day which wasnt there was there today!! Wasn't actually as good as I was expecting, but thats ok! First class....Buddhism in Thailand. The lecturer is a Star Wars fan, so, this means we had to divide into groups and come up with a group name....preferably star wars themed...then, we had to "name the mother ship"...Ie, what are we gonna call the class.......hmmmmm.....for those interested, we came up with Thaitanium......this whole process lasted 30 minutes....15 minutes to think of group names, and 15 minutes to think of the mothership name....and this 30 minutes was part of the actual class schedule! Good class huh!

After class, I made my way to Pinklaow Central on my way home to get more black socks. Some things I noticed about wearing uniform in Thailand to unviersity:

i) No one thinks you're a tourist when you wear the uniform, which means you get harrassed less, ripped off less


ii) Sock sellers give you discounts when you buy 3 pairs of socks whilst wearing the uniform


iii) People smile and look approvingly at Thammasat uniforms


iv) Black pants as a uniform in Thailand was the idea of someone who clearly never went to Thailand before implementing the idea....


On the bus to Central met these really nice to Thammasat students going to US next week...shame....they were really cool. At Central, two amazing things happened (other than the discount on abovementioned 3 pairs of socks):
i) I had the best soup with Chicken rice ever today! The chicken rice itself was arguably the worst chicken rice I've ever eaten, but the soup that came with it was the best soup that comes with chicken rice ever!!


ii) There is a Thai Airways Catering shop in the food court of Central! Basically, it is like a bakery of the company who caters Thai Airways, and you can buy all the baked goods they supply Thai Airways with! Wow....now you can get airline food on the ground.....my world has been turned upside down and I am jumping with excitement!!!:D I bought a banana cake which was really really good!
Then, took the 123 home....and I managed to get off successfully at the right place!!!! Bangkok buses....worse than ACTION buses...is that possible??? yes it is, I know even I'm amazed at my comment....so, no timetable, which maybe ACTION should consider, coz at least BKK buses make no excuse that they don't run to a timetable and just be honest about it....but, as a result....three 542 buses came one after another....then 10 minutes later anothe 542....what's the point of three of the same bus one aftter the other....the 123....took 1/2 before even 1 came! Anyways......
Dinner tonight was at the next door restaurant....where Lung Jar was eating some fruit with his family, which meant I had to eat with his family and I was really happy about any form of fruit eating! Had Khai Jiaow and it was so so so good! Met some more people from the dorm over dinner, and listened to Lung Jar's singing and music abilities...he's actually pretty good! And he and his mum (I think his mum) keep chatting away to me in Thai even though I have absolutely no idea what they are saying! But it's all good...especially when it involves Thai omlettes and fruit eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment