Sunday, August 16, 2009

The power of a Thammasat Uniform

Thai classes started today...we learnt a grand total of four sentences....all which I knew already, so proved to be somewhat useless, but I figure good practice just to speak something! Anyways, I didn't really care, because I made the discovery of the century today.....the Thai Airways bakery has a shop on campus......check out the thai airways croissants I bought for 45 baht!



After Thai I decided to conduct a uniform experiment. I went to three big tourist areas to see how many people would harrass me wearing the Thammasat uniform in these areas.....answer is NONE WHATSOEVER WHOOP WHOOP WHOOOOOP!! Taxi drivers ignored me, tuk tuk drivers continued their nap as I strolled past, DVD sellers remained engaged in their bowl of kway teow, AND one guy who was handing out pamphlets to tourists even moved away from me so I couldnt get a flyer, much like tissue hander outerers in Tokyo when gaijin walk past! OH, and the biggest amazing story....I had to buy some stuff priced at "from 800 baht"....so I figured I would pay over 1000, BUT to my surprise....600 without even asking!!! Anyways, highly content with my experiment, I decided to take the bus home....and the bus lady took my 50 baht note and gave me 3 baht change for what was an 18 baht ticket.....damn Bangkok buses....you just wont give in and accept defeat....why you keep fighting back huh!

Oh, and on my journey today, I did come accross Thai Maccas.....Ronald Wais!! hhehehehhe







Saturday involved Siam to try and fix my camera, but no such luck:( But there is still a chance it can be fixed! Saturday was a shocking day all round actually....I was not hungry! Went to Ootoya for lunch and barely made it through a donburi....what's going on???? Anyways, looked around, then went to the Lumphini night bizarre where I saw this fish massage....you put your feet in this pool and all these fish somehow massage your feet...weird huh! I didn't try it but I think I will go back!! Dinner at the bizarre...again not too hungry, but its ok, coz the food was only average. So Saturday was a not hungry day aka disaster day, so lets move on......

Sunday a Jun, Sakumi, Azumi, Yu, me and Tar went sight seeing to the Golden Mountain temple. It is a huge pagoda on this kind of hill (I think the hill bit is man-made though) and has a great view over Bangkok, after you climb allllll the stairs! Here's some half way up the hill pictures. It was quite peaceful and scerene going up.......








......except for this bit where eveyone has to chime these huge bells and it is just a bit much for the ears, especially when small children insist on hitting every bell at least 10 times each, and then running around screaming just incase they hadn't already disturbed everyone in the entire city!



Anyways, bells and small children aside, we made it to the top for an amazing view of the top of the pagoda and also over Bangkok.





After, we all went down to the river. Under the bridge there was breakdancing, old peoples aerobics, old people reliving their youth and getting into T pop dancing, skateboarding, soccer, volleyball, badminton, and crazy old men swinging their arms and spinning around and around in a circle in the middle of the park which was next to the bridge. It was so interesting to see how everyone was enjoying some leisure time in this small park in the middle of a really urbanised city.




Yu and Sakumi got in the spirit and posed with the bridge in an aerobic position, and next to them I saw this statute of Rama 1st (maybe 1st...Tar wasnt sure).




Then, the best bit! Dinner! We went down to the edge of the river and sat on the pavement. When you order some drinks this lady brings you a picnic mat and you can all sit on the pavement and then go buy some food from all the stalls and create a kind of picnic for dinner! Except the food is so soooo good...not like usual picnic food...we had these two claypot hotpots, papaya salad, two other salads whih I am not sure what they had in them but were nice, satay, and all soughts of delicious things! Here's some pictures! It was awesome....and later in the evening a group sat down next to us and one guy started playing the guitar. It was a fanstastic atmosphere!





No comments:

Post a Comment